Saturday, April 28, 2012

Part 4-of that Love Letter

I don’t think the people I have worked with are victims, except of their own ignorance and the ignorance of others. I don’t think they should be coddled either. I know they can be reached. I have worked with people related to top correction officials, the Qualcomm family, major-league football and baseball players, actors, politicians, as well as those who are invisible on the back stairs of society, where poverty, crime, drugs, and violence have been their only reference point for living. More than anything, they have been regarded and labeled as useless, hopeless, non-persons to be ignored, written off, and thrown away. They need teaching, about society, about decency, about themselves. For some, this learning begins with basic hygiene. They need lots of tiny pushes from people who believe in their potential and value as human beings. For over twenty years, I worked with hundreds of men and women who marked time behind prison walls, day by day, hour by hour, and minute by minute. I listened to them as they struggled to make their lives mean something. I listened to their tears, their pain, their regrets, and their guilt; later, their recovery and movement into laughter, amends, and consciousness. I am ever humbled by this work that is filled with such heartbreak and miracles. The feat of realizing one’s potential is a journey that does not end when a man or woman goes to a program, or completes the aftercare; it goes on. Helen Keller said: “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.” May the men and women still incarcerated by prison, drugs, or the streets remain adventurous and daring enough to change. May they never forget that with freedom comes personal and moral responsibility. May the families who so graciously support them remain hopeful – yet not enabling. May everyone begin to understand how powerful and awesome is the event of a life changing is. May we honor their journeys and their pursuit of finding the good in themselves. I have always loved this quote: “The sky starts at your feet; think how brave you are to walk around.” And of the committed and courageous helping professionals who demonstrate that change is necessary and possible; they are men and women with voices; passionate about giving other men and women a voice. You are all so special to me and to be commended on your heroic hard work, your relentless pursuit for knowledge, and for just hanging in there no matter how hard it gets. So that about sums up my fourteen years with MHS; I cannot begin to express my gratitude for the way that I was accepted to the MHS family from the very first day on March 1st, 1998. When I say family, I mean that in every sense of the word. I have not, by any stretch of the imagination been a perfect employee; I made many mistakes, but hopefully, never the same one twice. When I had cancer in 2010- I was taken care of, loved by many individuals of MHS, and have no doubt that the power of that love enabled me to beat that cancer. MHS has been the highlight of my life and my career and I take with me so much that I have learned, experienced and gained both professionally and personally. Even more than the professional gains, I have met, worked with and formed relationships with some of the best people I have ever met or probably will ever meet. Every one of you is a hero to me. It is with much sadness that I leave, but also relief as I can finally reach the goal of spending time with my mother while she is still here. What a ride it has been! Thanks so much for everything. P.S. I will be kept on at MHS as a consultant Grant Writer when needed – so, if it turns out that I’m successful at it (which is my intent), I will be contributing to the ongoing work and success of one of the greatest companies around- how great is that!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment