Sunday, May 9, 2010

I'm Here...

On the advice of a couple of good friends, I do this blog. I always thought the most profound event of my life (besides brutally raped- that’s another story) was the time I spent in prison thirty years ago. It defined me, not in a negative way, but as an intense, life changing time-don’t regret it- I got a rare perspective of the worst and best of humanity. I began to write then - Poems, stories, journals from 1978 forward…. records of prison, all that happened before and since . Now, I’ve a new sentence – cancer. Such a startling reality when told- on Monday morning at work over the phone. wow, that call was heart stopping for a second. in those few hours after the call, I found myself driving aimlessly in San Diego, in a trance. It was just before Christmas; my wife was in Tucson, - I was to meet her there in three days, alone, driving, thinking, screaming inside, laughing at the irony that it was breast cancer, not lung cancer always thought if I got cancer I figured it would lungs….the irony that I had always wanted a breast reduction –that old cliché, careful what you ask for. a couple of months into it, it’s surreal some, too real, days, other days, particularly when they cut a chunk of my boob out, and it still hurts most days…and that what follows is months of chemo and radiation.

3 comments:

  1. you're here and I'm excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you.re here.

    in many ways.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur sooooooo awe inspiring to me......I still have a mother's day plaque on the wall from my son who said YOU were my MOST inspirational friend (member when we used to work 2gether back in the day) and Im sure he wrote that cuz I talked about you so much....

    Well my dear friend....YOU R even MORE inspirational to me now.....celebrate YOU....you are such a wonderful human being and I LOVE you.......Sandee

    ReplyDelete