Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pros and Cons

In Retrospect

So, over six months into this cancer thing, I’ve learned a most important lesson; there are benefits, and ‘non’ benefits to having cancer. Better to start with the ‘non’ so as to end on a high note

Non Benefits:

1) Almost constant nausea
2) Little legs don’t work nearly as good or fast as they used to; my wife has always gotten irritated with me because I walked ahead of her – (could be a benefit too….now we walk together, or me behind her)
3) Trying to figure out every day which do-rag to cover my bald head with – I have two wigs, but don’t wear them cuz I know everyone knows they are wigs, (like people don't know I'm wearing scarves for same reason)-wondering how long before the hair comes back; I’ve heard it comes back patchy, the same way it came out-that would suck -
4) The fear it will grow back grayer
5) Being asked 10-15 times a day how I feel… you see, I have that socially retarded thing in one-on- one situations – put me in front of 80 people and I’m good


Benefits:

1) Got a beautiful new wedding ring out of it….the one I’d always dreamed of, lots of sizable shimmering diamonds
2) 2) The wife, after over 20 years of my being the cook in the house, who now cooks for me….she does so, both willingly and begrudgingly. Hmmm….maybe I’ll play on this one awhile
3) New awareness of just how many people I have in my life that give a shit
4) Picturing my hair will come back without gray,and straight– like I have always dreamed of having….the only thing that I was ever able to straighten my hair with is Motions – which is not for white girls -inevitably, every time I use it, I burn my scalp
5) The loss of weight from all the nausea; always a good thing just by virtue of being a women
6) Being asked 10-15 times a day how I feel...maybe it will cure my social retardation

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're able to find the bright side(s) of this.

    BTW...how do you feel? teeheeheee

    ReplyDelete