Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What If?

What If?

I was thinking about all the ‘what if’s’ in life….

On my life; what if I had not gotten cancer, I would not be better for it; it has given me a unique perspective. The only drawback is that the first sighting of hair growing back is my chin hairs…wouldn’t you know it.
What if -I didn’t have the support I have – I’d be much less inclined to fight this thing
What if –I could actually complete this book I’ve been contemplating for 25 years – I’d be better especially if it sold, I could quit working and just volunteer my time – perhaps go rock babies at a hospital or something more to my liking-and of course, travel the world
What if – I didn’t have the amazing love affair that I have with my wife – can’t imagine where I would be – can’t fathom being single at almost 60 and dating-YUK- she better live longer than I do

On friends: what if – we weren’t connected in some way- we really are, that whole six degrees of separation; don’t you think our lives would be much worse for that
What if – we weren’t such unique, diverse, and accomplished people; the world would be less good for that
What if – I could somehow erase your struggles, pain, and sadness – I could make a LOT of money, and be more fulfilled than I am already-the notion that money can’t buy happiness is not completely true – it sure helps, especially in these uncertain times
What if ––‘god was one of us’ – which I contend might be true – by virtue of the love shared, the connectedness, and the good deeds we do for one another
What if – we found a way to resolve ALL our family issues-OMG

The world at large:
What if – children lived in a world with no hate, abuse, or prejudice?
What if – we lived in a world with no hate, abuse or prejudice?
What if –there weren’t both the Rachel Maddow’s and Rush Limbaugh’s of the 24-hour news cycle – I wouldn’t have the luxury of hearing both sides-and staying perplexed about all the issues that we face
What if –this life, this world, we, don’t really exist, but are maybe manifestations of the dreams of some animal that is hibernating for the winter, and when that animal wakes up, that’s it, we are over…this one was born out of an acid trip in the sixties-I still think it may be true, even without the acid

No comments:

Post a Comment